Friday, January 2, 2009

a year full of mamata?

With each passing year new year's day seems a little older than in the past. I don't know whether it's because I keep trying to hold on to the way I've always celebrated new year's eve/day but it's slightly disconcerting either which way.

The only new thing to report from new year's day was being woken up by a singing loudspeaker installed by the Trinamool Congress on the street outside my friend's house. I don't know what was being sung but none other than God could have been listening without a grimace.

Today's been better though. I spent a bit of time with my parents at City Centre and two young guys (younger than me that is) ran up to me and enquired about my t-shirt. I had on my Waters concert shirt and told them it was from the concert itself. What was nice was that they thanked me and wished me a happy new year. Even Mom had something nice to say about it. I hope they have a good year too.

And then at PC the CR Park crew came equipped with musical instruments to set up a singing-jamming session. It was quite fabulous. Imagine being transported to a riverside cafe on a cool evening with an appreciative and enthusiastic crowd. It's something I haven't really seen in Calcutta. The room was smoky and dimly lit, shadows playing off the walls, dancing with each other. It was like a scene out of a documentary about a band's roots.

A nice second day if not the best first I'd say.

1 comment:

rorschach said...

fuck they jammed at baba's. fuck saala. i missed it. damn.