Tuesday, December 23, 2008

after a few pegs

I spent a day or so in Delhi before making it to Calcutta and it was as crazy as always. Much of Saturday night was spent at f-bar because my friends found a way to get everyone inside for nothing. Over the course of the night I found myself sitting alone in the parking lot, smoking and looking at everyone leaving the place through some serious beer goggles.

Somehow I managed to strike a conversation with a certain parking attendant by the name of Jal Singh. It was obvious that he was really busy but maybe I was a welcome distraction from the hundreds starting to make their way out of the hotel. We discussed the fact that most people around there were in their teens or early twenties and were blowing up some serious amounts of money. Jal Singh didn't mind though. He thought if people have money it should be spent. Never at the expense of one's honour and respect though. And never to let down the family's name.

"What's wrong with a few drinks?" he asked.
"I like a couple of pegs before work too."

I didn't quite know what to make of this burly man with a moustache like a genuine Rajput but we parted with a hug and the night left with a little more to think about than usual.

No comments: